Following God’s Plan to Crush Your Goals
Can you be a Christian and pursue your goals? Or do you have to wait for God to drop everything in your lap?
Many Christians believe that pursuing your goals is self-centered and counteracts whatever plan God has in store for us. Scripture does not support this belief. Let’s consider how God, through Scripture, encourages us to pursue our goals and achieve success.
Consider these passages from the Bible:
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
1 Chronicles 4:10 “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request.”
In Jeremiah, God tells you there is a plan for you: a wonderful and amazing plan. It’s a plan for success and joy.
Where did God plant that plan? In your heart! God has given you the desire to succeed and manifest His work in this world.
This, then, begs the question, “How do I find that plan?”
Since God planted the plan in your heart, look in your heart. Look prayerfully.
Look prayerfully in your heart to discover this plan:
- What is your passion? Your passion holds the dreams which God planted in your heart. Follow your passion.
- Are you pushing it away? Is there something in the back of your mind you’re trying to avoid? Bring it to the forefront. Look at it clearly. This may contain God’s plan for you that your ego wants to avoid. Your ego is that part of you that wants your will, not God’s.
- Consider “What then?”. Ask yourself, “Once I achieve that goal, what then would I want?” Keep asking “what then” until you have this deep ah-ha experience that says, “That’s it. That’s the ultimate plan for my life.”
Trust in God’s Promise
No matter how much you want it, God is not going to give you the entire plan at once.
Imagine if you discovered God wanted you to begin a world-wide business that would require writing three books a year for the next 10 years, managing a staff of 100 people, and others being jealous of you or speaking untruths about you. Looking at where you are today, you may find this to be so frightening, you don’t want to take the first step.
But He won’t drop at the finish line right away. He wants you to start at step 1 and grow as you move along the path.
And on that path, God doesn’t seem to write with straight lines. The path may meander about, especially when you interject your own will. God then re-sets you on the path and you’re set to continue to move onward again.
The key is trusting that God has everything in hand, even when you can’t see more than 10 feet in front of you.
Once you know the direction you’re going, even if you only know the first step or two, let God know you’re ready.
Consider these ideas found in the story of Jabez:
- Jabez asked God to “bless me and enlarge my territory.” You can ask God to:
- Bless you with the wisdom, knowledge, and resources needed to accomplish His plan for you.
- Bless your business, so it expands in every way according to God’s will for you.
- Then Jabez requested, “Let your hand be with me…”
- Ask God to guide and direct you, to inspire you, and let you know each succeeding step.
- Tell God that you’ll listen to His messages to you. Stay in communication with God through prayer.
- Lastly, Jabez asked, “… keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.”
- Ask for God’s protection in every area of your life – for you, your family, and your business.
- Be mindful that in your request you are committing your actions tol be according to God’s word.
- Then, you’re told that God granted his request.
- God promised through Jeremiah that He has plans for you: “… plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
When you’re living God’s plan for you and asking for assistance, the goals you set will be according to that plan. Your goals are God’s goals for you. You can crush those goals and all your future ones as well.
Changing your PERSPECTIVE reveals POSSIBILITIES leading to PATHWAYS God is opening onto which you can choose to PROCEED to follow the goals and passions He has placed on your heart.